Tuesday, September 30, 2008

After Action Review

Sustains - I made the plexi glass and the brass in the die match perfectly.  Originally, I started with masonite and plexi glass, but I messed up the plexi glass so I threw out the masonite.

Improves - I tried to use the masonite later because I thought I would need more room to press, but instead of cutting a new one, I used the one that didn't match the plexi glass and brass plates.  This made gaps, bending the brass and making the forms uneven.  Also, one of the sides of the die  did not have filed edges, which wasted a lot of material (I used a lot of copper because my die is big) and left less room for mistakes and learning.  I didn't anneal enough either.  In the end I took the masonite out and hammered the brass flat, and the plates matched again.  Then I just used the plexi glass and brass together.

What Ifs - The project would have been more successful if I made all parts of the die together.  Making part of it uneven ruined the integrity of the rest.  Also, I could anneal more and try to push my forms further.

No comments: