Sunday, October 12, 2008

Iconic Design



     Okay, so I thought I did the iconic hollow formed pictures right.  I spoke to my teacher (Jan) about it and shetold me to research iconic forms.  So, I went on the MoMa Design Store website and also looked up the definition of "icon" through the online Merriam Webster Dictionary.  Attached is a screen shot of the definition.
     I noticed that a lot of the items in MoMa Design Store were just abstracted forms of recognizable things - tables, chairs, lamps, etcetera.  So, I guess iconic means- representing something that is recognizable.  I also wonder if it has to be designed well to be an iconic design.    I'm still not entirely sure what he true definition of an iconic design is.  Maybe something that has been repeated as an iconic figure in art history?  Maybe something that deconstructs the idea of an ordinary object?  Or, maybe just something that is very "well designed" - by today's standards.

No comments: